Archive for somdet wat phra kaew

Somdej Garuda, Wat Phra Kaew, 玉佛寺 – 拍颂绿金翅鸟

Posted in Garuda 大鹏金翅鸟, Wat phra kaew with tags , , , , , , on August 7, 2010 by ahaina

Wat Phra Kaew Somdej Garuda.

玉佛寺 ~ 拍颂绿金翅鸟 :

金翅鸟,又称 “ 迦楼罗 ”,源自古代印度神话传说,是佛教天龙八部之一的护法形象。是神鸟修婆那族的首领, 众鸟之王 。迦楼罗的形象多为人面, 鸟嘴, 羽冠, 腰部以上为人身,以下为鸟身。

Wat Phra Kaew ,  (  The Emerald Temple )

Phra Somdej Garuda


Garuda Emblem of Thailand.svg

The eight races  ( 天龙八部 ) of non-human entities described in Buddhist cosmological text Lotus Sutra (法华经), namely Deva (天),  Naga (龙), Yaksha (夜叉),  Gandharva (乾驮婆),  Asura (阿修罗),  Garuda (伽楼罗),  Kinnara (紧那罗),  and Mahoraga (摩呼罗迦)

The Emerald Buddha
Historical sources indicate that the statue surfaced in northern Thailand in the Lannathai kingdom in 1434. One account of its discovery tells that lightning struck a pagoda in a temple in Chiang Rai, after which, something became visible beneath the stucco. The Buddha was dug out, and the people believed the figurine to be made of emerald, hence its name. King Sam Fang Kaen of Lannathai wanted it in his capital, Chiang Mai, but the elephant carrying it insisted, on three separate occasions, on going instead to Lampang. This was taken as a divine sign and the Emerald Buddha stayed in Lampang until 1468, when it was finally moved to Chiang Mai, where it was kept at Wat Chedi Luang.

The Emerald Buddha remained in Chiang Mai until 1552, when it was taken to Luang Prabang, then the capital of the Lao kingdom of Lan Xang. Some years earlier, the crown prince of Lan Xang, Setthathirath, had been invited to occupy the vacant throne of Lannathai. However, Prince Setthathirath also became king of Lan Xang when his father, Photisarath, died. He returned home, taking the revered Buddha figure with him. In 1564, King Setthathirath moved it to his new capital at Vientiane.[1]
Ubosoth outside decorations closeup

In 1779, the Thai General Chao Phraya Chakri put down an insurrection, captured Vientiane and returned the Emerald Buddha to Siam, taking it with him to Thonburi. After he became King Rama I of Thailand, he moved the Emerald Buddha with great ceremony to its current home in Wat Phra Kaew on 22 March 1784. It is now kept in the main building of the temple, the Ubosoth.

Gold clothing
The Emerald Buddha itself is simply the Jadeite statue,[2] but it is adorned with garments made of gold. There are three different sets of gold clothing, which are changed by the King of Thailand or a liaison in a ceremony at the changing of the seasons — in the 1st Waning of Lunar Months 4, 8 and 12 (around March, July and November). The three sets of gold garments correspond to Thailand’s summer season, rainy season, and cool season. The two sets of gold clothing not in use at any given time are kept on display in the nearby Pavilion of Regalia, Royal Decorations and Thai Coins on the grounds of the Grand Palace, where the public may view them.

Somdej Wat Phra Kaew 玉佛寺崇迪佛牌

Posted in Thai Buddhist famous amulet, Wat phra kaew with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on August 8, 2009 by ahaina

Somdej Wat Phra Kaew, Pim Yai,

created by

The Palace ~ Wat Phra Kaew

B.E.2409 Limited issued

Somdej Wat Phra Kaew

此尊皇庙 玉佛寺 顺德佛牌用材取自印度佛陀圣地之五方圣土和合越拉康寺经粉所制于佛历2409。 由 圣僧 顺德阿僧多亲制 开光诵经祝福。

(佛牌源自越拉康主持 帕库维吉)

Garuda Emblem of Thailand.svg

%d bloggers like this: